Just about to leave to eat Annasi and Kadalagotu

I am just about to leave to eat Annasi and Kadalagotu.

Their website says as follows:

The Annasi & Kadalagotu Literary Festival or ‘A&K LitFest’ is a Sri Lankan literary festival which will bring together literary enthusiasts from every nook and corner of the country. It is a collaborative platform where those who share a passion for literature can come together, explore the way we write, the way we read and learn about the ways of Sri Lanka and its people - their expressions, cultures and perspectives.
The Festival’s objectives are to create an interest in contemporary local literature of hitherto known and unknown writers and creative artistes, as well as fuel the burning passions of latent literary hopefuls scattered around our island.

Frankly, I was too busy to think much about my presentation and I will be in deep thought while driving from Matugama to Colombo. Will my kids who are going with me allow me to do so, I am afraid?

Anyway, I have a story to say. I am a village man who was one time rebel of JVP who spent most of his youth for full time politics of the Marxist party and then in numerous prisons. Although I quit JVP for ideological reasons, I was in politics all throughout my time and media was my medium.

I started a career in media as editor of rebel literature and became a freelancer after I quit JVP. One time I was provincial correspondent of two newspapers of Padaviya, a war torn area where I worked as a teacher. Teaching is more a passion for me now which I am obsessed so much and do not wish to sacrifice for a journalist career.

Back in Colombo, I was in Hiru Group which published a weekly alternative newspaper that campaigned for seeking a solution to ethnic problem. It was all voluntary work. Then I again quit that group due to ideological differences.

The big question before me was what to do next. There was nobody to give us money to publish newspapers. It was not easy to find space in mainstream media too.

I entered Sinhala online content creation in 2005 as a webmaster cum editor of Lanka Polity dot org website which is now defunct.

Later, I was shown the benefits of blogging and here I go. I write what I think and I fight for a cause I believe right with my writing.

I told you a story in brief now and you know I want to be a better storyteller one day. That is my ambition and this bloody blogging plus translations which I do to make a living eats me. I want to quit all this and go offline to write. I once published a novel called Shasthru and if you have time to read it tell me I can give one to you.

Anyway, we must have a country first of all and I have to stay here getting all the threats, hate expressions and insults to fight for a better day in terms of freedom and democracy.

I will be in social media until I believe we have consolidated the foundation for a society at least a little bit better than what we had before January 8th this year.

මේ ලිපිය වෙන අයත් එක්කත් බෙදා ගන්න. උපුටා ගන්නවා නම් ‍මෙතැනින් ගත් බව කියන්න

ඔබගේ අදහස් අපි මහත් සේ අගයමු. නිර්නාමිකව හෝ අදහස් පළ කිරීමට අවස්ථාව ලබා දී තිබෙන්නේ එම නිසා ය. එහෙත්, එය අපහරණය නො කිරීම ඔබ‍ගේ වගකීමකි. අසභ්‍ය යයි සාමාන්‍ය ව්‍යවහාරයේ පිළි ගැනෙන වචන සම්බන්ධයෙන් සදාචාරවාදී නො වන මුත්, අනුන්ට අපහාස කිරීම සඳහා එවැනි වදන් භාවිතා කර තිබෙන අවස්ථාවලදී ඒවා ඉවත් කිරීමට සිදු වන බව කරුණාවෙන් සලකන්න. එසේම, නීතිමය ගැටලු මතු කරන අදහස් පළ කිරීම් ද ඉවත් කරනු ලැබේ. අදහස් පළ කිරීම සම්බන්ධ කාරණාවලදී සංස්කාරක වගකීම් සමග සහයෝගයෙන් කටයුතු කිරීම බලාපොරොත්තු වෙමු.

Comments

  1. මාරෙ අංකල් මේකටනම් කුණුහබ්බ කමෙන්ට් දාන එකක් නෑ. තෙරෙන්නෙ නැති හින්දා.

    ReplyDelete
  2. අන්නසි සහ කඩලගොටු සාහිත්‍ය උත්සවයට ජයවේවා යැයි පතමි.

    (කඩල යනු ඉංගිරිසියෙන් පීනට්ස් peanuts යැයි කවුදෝ ලියා තිබුණා. කඩල යනු මා දන්නා පරිදි ග්‍රෑම්ස් grams හෝ චික් පීස් chick peas වේ).

    ReplyDelete
  3. //media was my medium//

    HikZ :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. පැරාගේ රචනාව හරියට හිටන් සිරා ගේ ජාතිය ඇමතීම වගේ

    ReplyDelete
  5. //if you have time to read it tell me I can give one to you// Glad that I got one.

    regarding this A&K event, the news was not spread enough to make an attempt. Only Bassi shared something on her FB wall but not quite explanatory enough. Sure I'd be there had it been communicated earlier. All the best Para.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Para,

    The word "just" in your title (Just about to leave to eat Annasi and Kadalagotu) is redundant.

    Just say: [I am] about to leave....

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was a nice penal and an Q & A session. Thanks a lot

    ReplyDelete
  8. අන්නාසි හා කඩල සාහිත්‍යය උත්සවය පිලිබඳ ලියැවිල්ලක සඳහන්ව ඇති ලෙස සංවිධයකයන්ගේ අරමුණක්ව තිබෙන අපගේ මුල් සොයා යාම පිළිබඳ සංකල්පය මගේ සිත්ගත්තා. ලංකාවේ ජීවත්වන ලාංකිකයයින්ටත් සිය මුල් අමතකව ගොස් ඇත්නම් අන් අය ගැන කවර කතාද? ඇත්තටම අපේ ප්‍රශ්නය තිබෙන්නේ එතැනය. අපේ ශක්තීන් හා සීමාසහිතකම් ගැන ලෝකයේ අප සිටිනා තැන ගැන අපට නිසි අවබෝධයක් නැතිවීමයි. සතුටට කරුණ නම් සෙමින් වුවත් අපි ඒ දෙසට පියවර තැබීමයි. ජනවාරි 8 සිදුවූයේ එහි ඇසට පෙනෙන පියවරකි.
    Their, ''Going Back to the Roots'' concept was appealing and if Sri Lankans living in Sri Lanka have lost their Roots then what about the rest? yet agree with them;
    yes,
    we have lost the confidence in our life style, beliefs, our way of thinking and our institutions including universities..we have failed to be aware of our potential and our limitations, where we stand in the global arena,
    but
    the best thing out of all these is we are getting their slowly though! what happened on 8th Jan 2015 is a much visible and firm step of this process.
    Congratulations and Long Live A &K Lit Fest!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

මාතෘකාවට අදාළ නැති හා වෛරී අදහස් ඉවත් කිරීමට ඉඩ ඇති බව කරුණාවෙන් සලකන්න.

Popular posts from this blog

තේරවිලි: සුපුන් සඳක් ඇත. මැදින් හිලක් ඇත.

පාසල් අධ්‍යාපනය ගැන කතා තුනක්

හමුදා කුමන්ත්‍රණ ගැන ලෝකෙට දුරකථනයෙන් කිව්වෙ බීලා වෙන්න ඇති -ෆොන්සේකා